KUSF 11.06.10 4-6 PM Spotlight "The History of The Mods" DJ Ira with Alan Powell




In November of 1994 I asked Alan Powell to do a Spotlight with me on the history of the Mod Movement.  Alan was in an original British Mod band in the mid 1960's called Ivan's Meads. They were the most successful Mod band in Manchester. They recorded two singles and opened for the Who on occasion.  After Ivan's Meads, Alan was in Richard Kent Style.  In the 70's he worked with bands as diverse as Chicken Shack ( Christine Perfect ), Vinegar Joe  ( Robert Palmer ( he also collaborated on song writing with Robert Palmer )), Hawkwind and Tanz Der Youth ( Brian James ). Around 1980 Alan moved to San Francisco and formed the band that recorded on 415 Records, Jo Allen and the Shapes.  Also helping out with this Spotlight was his girlfriend at the time Harmony as she was then known to the late 70's SF Punk Scene. 

Eddie Floyd - Things Get Better
The Action - I Love You ( Yeah ) - The Ultimate Action

Jimmy Smith - Back At The Chicken Shack - Title Track
Georgie Fame and The Blue Flames - Green Onions
Jimmy McGriff - All About My Girl
Booker T and the MG's - Mo' Onions

The 4 + 1 - Don't Lie To Me
Doby Grey - The In Crowd
The In Crowd - Things She Says
Syndicates - Crawdaddy Simone
Yardbirds - I've Been Wrong ( I ain't Done Wrong )

James Brown - Out Of Sight - Original 7"
Marvelettes - Nowhere To Run
Sam & Dave - Hold On I'm Going
Them - Baby Please Don't Go

High Numbers - I'm The Face
High Numbers - Zoot Suit
Small Faces - Baby Don't Do It
Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Kinks - I Gotta Move
Roy Head - Treat Her Right
Orlons - The Wha Watutsi
The Brand - Zulu Stomp
The Who - Anyway Anyhow Anywhere

Len Barry - 1-2-3
Prince Buster - Madness
Skatalites - Guns of Naverone

The Smoke - My Friend Jack
The Who - Our Love Was, Is
Rod Stewart - Little Misunderstood

The Jam - In The City
The Chords - The British Way of Life
Ron Silva and the Monarchs - People Sure Act Funny

1st Hour

2nd Hour

No comments: